From a friend via email:
Fearing the worst, I went to their web site, and -read- their policies.
Said reading is actually very, very relieving. I imagine we were all fearing the worst after the Christian Demagogues err…. Democrats. The whole set of policies reminds me most of something that the Salvos would write. And my opinion of the Salvos is about as high has it gets for god botherers (apologies in anyone on the list is Christian).
Stand out “leftie” policies:
Free dental, reduce HECs, drugs = health problem, paid maternity leave, pro-refugee, benefits for casuals & part-time workers, pro-environment, don’t sell Telstra.
Stand out “uh oh” policies:
marriage = boy + girl, embryonic stem cell research = bad, pr0n = bad
Stand out “right wing” policies:
lots of tax & small business reforms, but leave unions and award system alone.
I’d still prefer the Greens, but at least it isn’t Harradine or Nile. And at least they’ve proved that you can be conservative christians without being RWNJs
Here’s a full summary:
- free universal dental (go Karl π
- emphasis on indigenous & rural health
- change medicare to support the mentally ill
- improved care of the elderly.
- emphasis drug abuse as a medical problem, push rehab:
- — HARM MINIMIZATION — egad, the magic words!
- more public housing
- pro 1st home grants, want to improve housing affordability
- reduce HECS
- increase funding to unis
- up to $3k a year of education tax deductions per family for kids
Economics / industrial relations
- economic rationalists / small “l” liberals
- VERY pro small business
- support minimum wage / benefits for part time & casual employees
- think current awards and union system isn’t bad.
- paid family leave, paid maternity leave
- unpaid parental for casuals / part-timers
In favour of migration, and measures to increase birth rate
- pro-alternative energy
- pro-conservation, bio-diversity
- want incentives for recycling / waste reduction
- sign Refugee Convention
- fast processing of refugees
- housed within the community via supervised hostels
- federal assistance to refugee / community integration
- deport people who AREN’T refugees, but allow people detained
- for long periods by Howard, or those on long term temp.
- protection visas to apply for perm residency
- Pro-reconciliation, pro-feminism (unsurprising, given that the party leader is a female aboriginal)
- Against homosexual marriage π
- mandatory ISP level pr0n filtering
- joint custody the default in divorce
- against the war in Iraq, but pro helping rebuild
- in favour of small government
- pro ADULT stem cell research, anti- embryonic stem cell research
- Against the sale of Telstra
Of course – go check it out for yourself, but thought it worth passing on.